On Mon, Mar 20, 2023, 4:55 AM Lynn Winebarger wrote: > On Mon, Mar 20, 2023, 2:31 AM Yuan Fu wrote: > >> >> >> > On Mar 19, 2023, at 6:18 PM, Lynn Winebarger >> wrote: >> > >> > I've >> > done this manually on various systems I use with a significant >> > improvement in startup performance. >> >> It'll be interesting to see the numbers on the improvement. How much does >> it improve startup time if there is x packages and y are loaded at startup >> time? >> > > > Good question. The systems I've done this manually on are one-off builds > of 28.x on sandboxed systems where the system emacs is 24.3. So, I didn't > have to worry about managing package updates with any frequency. > I don't have any hard measurements, but my recollection is that installing ~1200 packages on those systems and "loading the world" took something like 5 minutes, while a similar set of packages installed in a unified directory takes about 1.5 minutes. Also, when set up with AOT native compiled libraries, the startup time was more like 15 minutes, or at least long enough for me to walk away, make coffee, drink the coffee slowly, and still find the startup in progress. The native libraries are in a cache directory, but they have to locate the source file and compute a checksum at load time, so the length of the load-path is still an issue.... Take those numbers with a container of salt though, since I did that last summer and took a big detour to effectively enable dumping all the packages as preloaded native-compiled libraries before going back and trying just working with the byte-compiled version in December. Lynn