On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 6:39 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Stefan Monnier > > Cc: Andrea Corallo , emacs-devel@gnu.org > > Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2022 02:12:30 -0400 > > > > > That would explain the behavior I've seen. If that's the case, > shouldn't > > > batch-native-compile produce the byte-compiled file if it doesn't > exist? > > > > Sounds about right, tho maybe there's a good reason for the current > > behavior, I don't know. > > Of course, there is: that function is what is invoked when building a > release tarball, where the *.elc files are already present. See > lisp/Makefile.in. > That's what I expected was the case, but the question is whether it "should" check for those .elc files and create them only if they do not exist, as opposed to batch-byte+native-compile, which creates both unconditionally. Or perhaps just note the possible hiccup in the docstring for batch-native-compile? However, since the eln file can be generated without the elc file, it also begs the question of why the use of the eln file is conditioned on the existence of the elc file in the first place. Are there situations where the eln file would be incorrect to use without the byte-compiled file in place? Lynn