On Sun, Jul 10, 2022, 9:53 PM Ken Brown wrote: > On 7/10/2022 5:54 PM, Ken Brown wrote: > > On 7/10/2022 2:32 PM, Lynn Winebarger wrote: > >> I see a discussion under bug #50666 - > >> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=50666 [ note - only > >> found by google site search on lists.gnu.org for "Ken Brown" "cygwin" > >> "native", the bug did not show up when I used debbugs's search for > >> bugs for package "emacs" with "cygwin" in the subject ]. > >> It seems to have focused on the 32-bit architecture, but I only use > >> 64-bit targets. > > > > Native compilation is unusable on 32-bit Cygwin, and this is reflected > in the > > configure script. (See the --with-cygwin32-native-compilation configure > option.) > > > > In the 64-bit case, Achim Gratz's autorebase postinstall script takes > care of > > rebasing the .eln files on a regular basis, provided the user has set > things up > > appropriately. Instructions can be found in the announcement at > > > > https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2022-April/010529.html > > > > In the 3 months since I sent that announcement, I have not heard from a > single > > Cygwin user about rebase issues. This might simply mean that very few > users > > have tried the native compilation release. > Will do, but could you include the details of the announcement in the emacs source distribution somewhere, as is done for the other variants with specific instructions? I'm only incidentally building it in a cygwin environment - it didn't even occur to me to check the general cygwin mailing list. > > > I myself use that release daily, and I can only recall one instance in > which I > > saw a fork failure and had to exit emacs and rebase. > > > > In summary, I would say that native compilation is usable with very > occasional > > minor annoyances on 64-bit Cygwin. But I doubt if I will ever make it > the > > default Cygwin build, simply because I don't want to be inundated with > emails > > from people who haven't read the release announcement. > > Lynn, > > Rereading your earlier message about problems during package installation, > I see > I didn't really respond to that. But it has nothing to do with the > present bug, > so please make a fresh bug report and give full details. And please > follow the > instructions in the announcement I cited. If you're working in your own > build > of Cygwin emacs that you haven't installed, you might also have to add its > native-lisp directory to > > /var/lib/rebase/userpath.d/ I am doing exactly what you surmised, running a build I haven't installed - in fact that I built with --prefix=/does/not/exist/ to ensure system installed site-lisp files will not get injected into the load-path while doing do. So I'll try that first. Although I think the packages generating the fork failures should be going into the cache in my home directory. If there are still issues, did you mean to log a bug with cygwin or emacs? Lynn