On Sun, Aug 21, 2022, 10:12 AM Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > But, yes, most people who build Emacs themselves end up using the Gtk > toolkit for two reasons: It's the default, and the no-toolkit one is > ugly and unusable (both in actuality and as a UX preference for most > normal people). > As I only recently took up building emacs for myself again, I can tell you when I saw the choices for toolkit configuration, my reaction was (a) how is no toolkit a viable option, and (b) who is using a window manager based on the Motif or Lucid toolkits these days? If there was a Qt option, I'd probably have taken it. When I've used a remote window manager on a local X server (versus a VNC based remote display), GNOME just generated so much more X protocol traffic than KDE/Qt that I'm wary of using it. I don't know how much of that traffic is from GTK, hence my bias toward Qt if it were already an option. Lynn