On Sun, Jul 24, 2022, 3:55 AM Michael Albinus wrote: > Lynn Winebarger writes: > > Hi Lynn, > > > And I don't even know where to start describing the issue. > > I don't even understand what you're trying. Could you pls give the > commands you're calling, that I have a chance to reproduce? > Good point. I'm trying to dump a "fully-loaded" emacs 28.1 that includes several hundred packages from the various elpas. I've modified those packages so they reside in site-lisp, use cl-lib instead of cl, and use an explicit data directory instead of loading files relative to the location of an installed .el file. I verified these all "work" by having about 1000 require statements in my .emacs file to explicitly require them. I then took the load history and separated the files into ones from the lisp directory and ones from site-lisp. I created a site-load.el and site-lisp-load.el (loaded at the end of site-load.el) to explicitly load the files in something resembling dependency order, then running make in the emacs build directory to create the build. I've also compiled every ELISP source file using batch-byte+native-compile. That was really painful since, as far as I know, the files can't be native compiled in parallel in arbitrary order because of potential race conditions, and I haven't made a Makefile for the .ELN files with the correct dependencies to native compile them in dependency order using make to build them in parallel. Now I'm working through the site-load.el file to dump all the required core emacs ELISP files first (in addition to the ones in loadup) to get the ordering right. Tramp is somewhere in the 300s in the list, maybe halfway-through the list of core emacs files. I don't really expect anyone to be able to solve this for me. I'm just looking for some pointers on how I can figure out what is going on short of stepping through the dumping process with gdb. At this point, I'm just trying to figure out why I can native compile tramp, but the load statement during the load preparing for dumping goes into infinite regress. The "require 'tramp-loaddefs" statement was an obvious problem, so I took the steps I described in my first email to resolve them. I just don't understand what's going on when I end the tramp.el file with "(eval-and-compile (provide 'tramp))" and comment out the final statements that run the initialization hook. When I try to native compile that version of tramp.el, it still seems to attempt to run the initialization hook when the provide statement is evaluated during the compile. I have no idea why that is happening. I would suspect something along the lines of "with-eval-on-load 'tramp", but I can't find it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Lynn