On Sun, Dec 10, 2023, 3:28 PM Michael Heerdegen via Emacs development discussions. wrote: > Lynn Winebarger writes: > > > The pattern would match a let or let* form that has bindings but no > > body. > > No - it matches where the body is the last variable. Not an empty body > - right? > I stand corrected - looks like I miscounted parentheses and/or misunderstood the scoping rules of non-linear pattern variables. The reasoning for the validity of the transformation is essentially the same, except instead of no variable references in the body, there is exactly one variable reference. It seems like this could be generalized somewhat, particularly for let forms, but I'm guessing this particular case is frequently generated by macros or in the compiler itself. Lynn