On Mon, Nov 27, 2023, 9:44 PM Richard Stallman wrote: > > > > In particular, what is the reason for the period and inner > > > parenthsses? Why doesn't the code say this? > > > > > > > (`(,hookfun ,start ,end ,collection . ,plist) > > > I would think the author is simply emphasizing that [perse is] parsing > an > > entity in an association list for which hookfun is a key. > > You may well be right about per intensions, and it is possible that a > person who already fully understands what this code is doing would > have realized that immediately. > > But a person who is just starting to look at this code, and reads that > function first, is likely to be impeded in starting to reach that sort > of understanding. > I have to respectfully disagree - dotted pair notation is a pretty fundamental part of LISP syntax, regardless of dialect. There's no reason I'm aware of (for human-written code) for a dotted pair to have a list in the CDR unless the author is emphasizing the pair as being an entry in an association list. Lynn