On 26 January 2014 21:44, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 21:22:37 +0200 > > From: Bozhidar Batsov > > Cc: emacs-devel > > > > While we're at it - why not increase the default `gc-cons-threshold' as > > well. Currently the default is 0.8 MB, which seems super-conservative > given > > today most computers have 1GB+ of memory. Code that creates a lot of > > objects would obviously be impacted significantly, since GC would be > > performed frequently. Setting it to something in between 10MB and 50MB > > seems much more reasonable to me. > > Did you try that? If not, please do. In my experience, your > suggestion has a downside: the GC indeed happens less frequently, but > when it does, it takes an annoyingly long time. I find it easier to > tolerate many GCs that run to completion in less than a second, than > to have a few GCs that take several seconds each. > I've tested the flx package https://github.com/lewang/flx suggestion to bump the gc-threshold and the package definitely started working noticeably faster. I haven't noticed particularly long GC pauses. Hopefully when multi-thread support is implemented in a future version of Emacs we'll get some parallel GC as well.