On 5 July 2013 17:15, Dmitry Gutov wrote: > On 05.07.2013 17:01, Bozhidar Batsov wrote: > >> I thought the manual installation instructions were leftovers from the >> old ruby-mode. I was under the impression that since ruby-mode started >> using SMIE it's not a good idea to distribute it separately, since it >> might not behave appropriately on older Emacsen. Perhaps I'm wrong. >> > > SMIE is the way forward, but it still needs work, and it's disabled by > default. Patches welcome, by the way. > > ruby-mode doesn't run on older Emacsen, but it's not hard to fix. Since > earlier versions distributed via Marmalade and Tromey's archive seem to > cause problems, perhaps we should make an effort and upload the current > version to Marmalade, at least once. It stable enough, I think. I guess this makes sense. I've often seen complaints about the ruby-mode in Marmalade being older than the one currently bundled in Emacs. > > > That's unfortunate. Files with tabs look like Christmas trees for most >> whitespace-mode users. >> > > Tabs are colored with whitish-yellow for me, which is the default > whitespace-tab face. Noticeable, but not critical. It's more annoying on a dark background. :-) Obviously that's not a big issue, I'm just obsessed about all the details. > > > Yes, I have - but I really feel that this is something that should be >> handled by ruby-mode itself. After all around 90% of all ruby hackers >> have to deal with yard and rdoc. It's better to have core functionality >> built-in. >> > > We should contact Kyle, then, for the copyright assignment. Or, again, > patches welcome. :) I guess it'd be best of Stefan approached him? > > > * make use of `font-lock-negation-char-face` for ! >> >> >> Uh, okay. Is it different from the default face, in any themes? >> >> If more modes were actually using it more themes would have customised >> it. I can assure you that zenburn and solarized will support it :-) >> > > Any idea how you're going to make it look? > A bold yellowish face seems like a nice option to me. Will make it clear that !orax is not actually lorax for instance. Maybe it should simply derive from the keyword face? On a related note - often && and || are highlighted as keywords. Maybe ruby-mode should do the same for consistency with `and` and `or`?