On 23 January 2014 21:22, Eric S. Raymond wrote: > RĂ¼diger Sonderfeld : > > > They are not identical, for example leading ./ in bzrignore maps to > > > leading / in gitignore. > > > > Are there any other major differences besides this? > > None that are used in the Emacs tree. I researched this when working > on reposurgeon's bzr support; the only other problem appears to be bzr > "RE:" expressions. > > > I've replaced the ./ with / in bzrignore and use it with git now. > > If this looks good I'll commit it to trunk. > > It might simplify things on conversion day if you don't. > > The goal of the final polished conversion is to make it look as though > git had been in use all along - that way people won't see distracting > changes in behavior when they check out old revisions. > > This means I'm going to have to write some reposurgeon procedure or > facility to > map .bzrignores to .gitignores throughout the history. Having a .gitignore > already in the tree at final conversion time might complicate that. > We already have some .gitignore files lying around so this ship has sailed. I think it makes sense to merge the proposed changes and remove the .gitignore files in the subdirectories. Even now people are using the bzr repo via git-brz and they'd benefit from a proper .gitignore file. > -- > Eric S. Raymond >