I think that we don't need to worry about compatibility with the other version of the ruby-mode in Ruby's SVN repo, since just about nobody uses it (except maybe some Emacs 23 users?). ruby-mode suffers from a lot of legacy in it (compared to other built-in modes) and would definitely benefit from a clean up. After all, simpler code is always easier to improve, extend and debug. On 31 October 2013 19:55, Stefan Monnier wrote: > > The attached patch simply replaces (set (make-local-variable …)…) with > > setq-local’ where appropriate in ruby-mode.el. > > Is it OK to use such bleeding-edge constructs in ruby-mode.el, or is > there still some external version with which we should try to preserve > compatibility? > > I meant, the code still tests (functionp 'syntax-ppss), so if we can > drop backward compatibility, there are probably more cleanups ahead. > > > Stefan >