* [Patch] Enable byte-compile-error-on-wran for error-free files in lisp/
@ 2018-02-21 18:30 Robert Cochran
From: Robert Cochran @ 2018-02-21 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello emacs-devel!

Now that the byte-compile-error-on-warn patch was merged (thanks by the
way!), this is the next step: I've marked most every file in lisp/
that currently byte-compiles without warnings with
'byte-compile-error-on-warn: t' in its file local variables.

I did an absolutely from-scratch build and it completed succesfully, as
well as running the full test suite with no significant errors. I may
have missed some files that should have been marked, but I took care to
*not* mark any files that had errors in them. The intended goal is to
not break the build, but have files that are already warning-free not
grow warnings. Files that still have warnings can be fixed as we go, ala
lexical-binding.

So, it's my understanding that there are some portions of what's in
emacs.git - org-mode being the prominent example in my mind - are simply
merges of a separate repository into emacs.git. Will it be necessary to
submit patches to the 'child' repositories rather than here? If so, how
can I find out which files are from said repositories?

This patch is rather large - the email patch form is 600k. The reason
for this is that I've touched quite a number of files - over 1,000
according to the Gitlab interface.

Thusly, I'm opting to link to the commit from my copy of the repository
rather than attach directly:

https://gitlab.com/RobertCochran/emacs/commit/f8446de4525910cf24dab7635124c3227c1ed1be

Gitlab also has the email form for convenience:

https://gitlab.com/RobertCochran/emacs/commit/f8446de4525910cf24dab7635124c3227c1ed1be.patch

Comments, suggestions, concerns, all that good stuff warmly welcomed.

~Robert Cochran

GPG Fingerprint - BD0C 5F8B 381C 64F0 F3CE  E7B9 EC9A 872C 41B2 77C2