On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 3:53 PM Manuel Giraud wrote: > João Távora writes: > > [...] > > > I agree this is a problem, especially the language specific parser > > bits. Yesterday I tried out tree sitter Emacs on my Arch system. > > Finding the tree-sitter system lib was easy enough, but finding the C++ > > definition object wasn't so easy. Eventually I made it, but it needed > > compilation from source and a NodeJS toolchain that I didn't know > > I needed for that. > > Wait, what? I thought that emacs would come with such tree-sitter > language definitions (at least for languages supported by > emacs/treesitter). I'm on openbsd myself and those language specific > parsers don't seem to be packaged here: "pkg_info -Q sitter" returns > only "tree-sitter-0.20.6p2". I'm not sure I want to play with NodeJS. > > IMHO, should tree-sitter become the new official way to have programming > modes it have to be easier to the end user, no? > I agree completely, but wait, maybe not. Maybe I was seriously overcomplicating, see Eli's response.