On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > It's also kind of ugly because of all the magic, but it's the best I can > come up with so far. I think the approach is quite good (was actually thinking along those lines on my way to work this morning). It's not uglier than the existing (defvar ,MODE-major-mode nil) (make-variable-buffer-local ',MODE-major-mode) I wonder if the existing MODE-major-mode and the disable-MODE you proposed could somehow take advantage of lexical binding so they wouldn't be visible to the user, but maybe this makes no sense... reading that section of easy-mmode.el always makes me delirious :-) Also couldn't ,MODE-major-mode contain both semantics and be renamed or something? -- João Távora