On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 12:27 AM Matt Armstrong wrote: > João Távora writes: > > > If you're talking about the :USE directive, you don't have to employ > > it: it's not mandatory for CL packages to be immensely better. But > > it's very useful and convenient in specific, well-understood > > situations. If you're talking about something else, I don't know what > > it might me. > > My understanding is that Richard is concerned about ambiguities, perhaps > not even flagged as errors at load time, that occurred in a version of > CL packages he implemented or otherwise worked with in the past, but > that may no longer occur in Common Lisp implementations conforming to > the newest standard. I believe he described the "misfeature" he is > concerned about more clearly in > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2022-10/msg02165.html. > There, I think Gerd made the convincing argument that the situation is > acceptable in current CL standards. > Thanks, I read that description, and as far as I can gather, only USE-PACKAGE vaguely fits that description, http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/f_use_pk.htm#use-package It's an optional feature that shouldn't be used -- much like -rf to rm or really any flag to any program -- if you one doesn't understand what it does. It will error and offer restarts if two used packages export symbols with the same name. Which reminds me.... I wonder if Gerd's branch also comes with a programmable interactive restart system :-) João