On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 12:54 PM Gregory Heytings wrote: > > >> This is feasible, but IMHO very (and needlessly) difficult. Basically > >> you need to work with pixel dimensions, and recalculate everything > >> manually: first calculate the (maximal) size of the miniwindow (given > >> the user preferences, in particular max-mini-window-height), then > >> calculate the size of its contents with window-text-pixel-size. You > >> should add one character (or line) at at time, and recalculate the new > >> size each time. > > > > Yes, as far as I understand, in the general case, it must be one > > character at a time, since each character might have a different pixel > > width. At some point there is a cutoff and things are not displayed > > anymore. I was hoping that that knowledge, which is held somehere in > > the system at some point, could be imparted to the application. > > > > Anyway, whatever the mechanism (notification or painstaking > > calculation), we should first write a function that does this. That is > > the bugfix in my opinion. Then we can work on simplifying that > > function's implementation, if it turns out to be slow or problematic. > > > > There is no need to calculate anything with the > "start-display-at-beginning-of-minibuffer" solution I sent a few hours > ago. Emacs does everything for you, at no cost. > > Or is there something that you need (e.g. for Eldoc) and that this > solution does not do? I suppose not, but I take it that that solution is a non-starter because of Eli's and Stefan's objections to it. Maybe you somehow placate those objections. João