On Mon, Oct 5, 2020 at 10:46 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > > From: João Távora > > Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 10:13:30 +0100 > > Cc: ghe@sdf.org, spacibba@aol.com, juri@linkov.net, casouri@gmail.com, > > emacs-devel@gnu.org > Or a lot of completion candidates. That's odd, I've been C-x C-f'ing to directories with "a lot" of files and I don't notice any problems. What size of "lot" did you have in mind? > My point is that enlarging the mini-window only works up to a limit. > So it cannot solve every case; eventually, you will need to truncate > the list of candidates in some way, and show to the user that the list > was truncated. Make sense. I do notice some truncation in the candidates in this new vertical mode I've been trying for a day or so, but I expect truncation of candidates anyway, so I haven't missed the feature of being shown explicitly that truncation is happening. Anyway, whoever is making this truncation happen (display engine?) should be the responsible for showing that warning hint. I don't see why it should be related to "candidates" or completion at all. Though maybe the responsible for the truncation can provide a way (a hook, a variable, a function?) for the user of the minibuffer to select the appropriate hint. My point here is that this variable/function shouldn't be called icomplete-truncation-hint, but rather mini-window-truncation-hint. Hope I've explained myself, João