On Fri, Sep 3, 2021, 12:45 Dmitry Gutov wrote: > On 03.09.2021 14:06, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > > Yes, that's not what I think we should add (and as Stefan reminded us, > > the previous time over we called the concept "profiles"). These would > > be big things that change Emacs in sweeping, opinionated ways a la > > Spacemacs, and there would only be half a dozen of them. > > We should not forget that, by maintaining those profiles, we would > probably obligate any addition or change to the default key binding set > to be adapted to all (or some) of these half a dozen profiles. > > So the more we have of them, the more work we add to our contributors. > Or potential bugs when we forget to do that. > Additionally, I would like to point out that we need reproducible bug recipes from bug reporters, and the best way to get them is something like Emacs -Q and its defaults. It is unavoidable that offering profiles as suggested is going to have a negative impact in that department. But perhaps it can be controlled if we have a small number of profiles and said profiles are easily chosen from the command line and the bug reporting instructions should updated accordingly. I support this profiles idea. I suggest these to start: - default, the default - space-hippie, or space-pinhead, a reference to spacemacs and to Emacs' hidden 70s origins - doctor-doom, likewise for doom emacs, couldn't find anything particularly clever here, sorry. The idea are that the latter two are reasonably familiar to people migrating from those distributions. Not sure about vi kebinds though, ugh... João >