On Sun, Aug 29, 2021, 09:23 Drew DeVault wrote: > On Sun Aug 29, 2021 at 10:21 AM CEST, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > I no longer remember the exact details, it was something we bumped > > into during discussions when Emacs switched to Git. AFAIR, it had to > > do with working on a feature branch and frequently rebasing it onto > > the latest master (so that the feature branch doesn't diverge too > > much), then later merging from the feature branch to master. > > Hm, weird. I would like to see some reproducible evidence of this so > that a deeper investigation can be done. I've used rebase thoroughly for > many years on hundreds of projects without any such incident. > If the branch you're integrating via rebase happens to have merge commits of its own, and you don't pass and/or fully understand what --preserve-merges does, it's possible I think. If you always always merge, it doesn't happen. Neither does it if you always always rebase, I guess. So I guess the argument can be spun around into a counter-merge argument, I guess. Anyway, I'm a rebase lover myself. João >