On Fri, Mar 10, 2023, 06:26 Yuan Fu wrote: > > > 'read-string-from-buffer' was intended to do this by relying on > > 'string-edit'. You could add a new function e.g. named > > 'read-expression-from-buffer' that does the same as > > 'read--expression' but using a buffer instead of the minibuffer. > > Of course Emacs has one built-in :-) I’ll see if I can make some > improvement to the read-string-from-buffer functions. In particular, I > think arbitrary setup function and validator would be useful additions. > If I'm following you correctly, also a serializer/deserializer function pair, so the user can edit expressions in non-lisp syntax and still have them stored as lisp values. João >