On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 9:35 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > Users need to read the documentation of the servers they want to > install anyway. We cannot provide that in Emacs, in the same way we > don't provide this information about other programs Emacs uses. Yes, I agree. We won't mention details like server's operating systems in the manual, at least not in that section. The only mentions to servers so far are in the example of eglot-workspace-configurations, because they its a fairly representative example, and no better one has been submitted. And we also mention, in the troubleshooting section, that clangd and pylsp are good servers to try to reproduce a bug report, because they're fairly easy to install. > > The addition would look like this: > [...] > Thanks, I'll let João comment on this. The addition is fine. But I disagree that we should endeavor to be exhaustive in that list and think that tweaking the variable is a rare event. Servers come and go for many languages, it's a very volatile landscape. And eglot-server-programs is just a starter database of simple server invocations that are more or less known to work out of the box. It is designed to be tweaked, passing command line arguments to servers, putting in absolute paths for experiments, etc. Maybe the variable could be autoloaded, but that probably has some pitfalls I'm not seeing at the moment. João