* Best (or common) pratices on package development workflow
@ 2023-06-01 23:11 Lic. Federico G. Stilman
From: Lic. Federico G. Stilman @ 2023-06-01 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

First things first. I started development with Emacs Lisp a few weeks
ago after using for more than 20 years Emacs for my daily work. So I
am a newbie on the Emacs Lisp development side.

I am currently writing a simple Emacs package consisting of one .el file.

I have a couple of defcustom declarations that initialize some
variables with a default value. And this is the source of my question.

Every time I make a change to the init value of the defcustom
declaration, I have to unload the feature provided by the package,
with something like:

  (unload-feature 'my-package)

and after that, reload the library with something like

  (load-library "my-package")

If not, the customization framework doesn't account for the change on
the default value of the custom variables.

My question is: which is the workflow you use when developing a
package for Emacs, for easily "reloading" the package for any kind of
changes by taken into account?

Re-evaluating the entire, or loading the file, works for reloading
functions. But - as far as I know - does not work for reloading
defcustom initialization values.

My package is for now something very simple consisting of one .el
file. I wonder how do you manage this when a package consists of many
.el files.

Thank you all,

Federico