Personally I regularly have the opposite itch: wanting to replace emacs's frustrating window management with an external tiling WM (in my case awesome). /john On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Matthew Plant wrote: > I was curious about what people on this list thought about application > embedding in Emacs. To a degree this is already supported with ansi > term, but this obviously doesn't extend to GUI applications. For those > of you familiar with Plan 9, think of how programs use the window the > terminal they're launched in; embedding GUI apps in Emacs would force > the program to run in a window owned by Emacs and fitted into a buffer. > > The reason why I bring this up is because it would be relatively easy to > do in a way that's not very platform agnostic. It's really easy to > replace the X libarary (forgive me for not using proper nomenclature; > it'd lengthen this email tenfold) window creation functions with one > that extends contol over the window. The degree of integration can be > controlled by the number of replaced functions. If drawn text wants to > be handled specially, those functions would be replaced. Some method can > be specified for switching between emacs and the application controlling > user input. > > This has some obvious advantages; for one, Emacs automatically subsumes > all editors, including more WYSIWYG editors. Not only that, but Emacs > essentially becomes a window manager, which I personally would > love. Because some apps, particular web browsers, do not always require > special handling of the keyboard, switching between regular Emacs > buffers and the special app buffers would be generally seamless. I could > imagine myself typing away in one Emacs buffer, momentarily moving to > the mouse to click throught some online doxygen in my web browser in the > buffer to the right. > > There are also a lot of disadvantages to this. For one, the applications > would be pretty buggy without some effort to re-implement X > functions. Also, my co-worker points out that this would be incongrous > with the current capabilities of Emacs, one of which is the easy > transfer of text betwixt buffers. Getting these two features to work > harmoniously would be kind of difficult; lots of wrappers to > X/Gnome/whatever text writing functions would have to be made. However, > copy and paste would work (I'm guessing) out of the box. > > I suppose it all boils down to what people want with the future of > Emacs. Personally, I would love to turn on my computer and have Emacs be > there every step of the way. I genuinely think that Emacs is a great > full interface to an OS. It is not a full OS however and never should > be, which is why I like this idea as an in-between. > > -M > >