Reposting to emacs-devel at Eli's behest. Re my suggested parallel, Eli asked: > How many hundreds? Emacs 29 loads almost 300 *.eln files at startup. I have never needed to answer that question. I work on the code generation middle-end. When I modify one of its fundamental headers over 350 modules get rebuilt. (That number reflects poor dependency management, which is being addressed.) There are probably just as many modules unrelated to code generation (e.g. UI, graphics, etc). /john ---------- Forwarded message --------- From: John Yates Date: Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 8:16 PM Subject: Re: emacs empty startup time increased from v 27.1 to 29.0 by factor 3? To: I work on a product whose structure involves literally hundreds of DLLs / SOs. We tolerate slow start-up in-house because it optimizes the compile / edit / debug cycle. Packaging the final product involves an extra step to collapse our hundreds of images into just a handful via a secondary link step. I wonder if there is anything analogous that Emacs could do.