On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 11:59 AM, John Wiegley wrote: > If we were going to reformat all the sources, I'd rather we observe the > rule > "never use tabs". I don't see what benefit they possibly offer. > Make files aside, is there any other justification for hard tabs besides compression? ​ 40 ​+​ years ago when ​my​ only available language ​s were DEC​ assembler ​s​ a line typically looked like: OPCODE OPERAND [ ',' OPERAND ]* + ';' COMMENT With identifiers limited to 6 characters and short comments tabs easily produced 50% compression. In more modern languages I have to believe that the compression is _much_ less.