From: John Yates <john@yates-sheets.org>
To: Tom <adatgyujto@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Feature suggestion: iswitchb should have an option to show virtual buffers like ido does
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 14:31:22 -0500	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Tom <adatgyujto@gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, there is one feature which ido could implement. This virtual buffer
> concept could be extended, so that the user can specify additional lists,
> not just recent files.
>
> For example, if I work on a project then there are files in it which
> I open only rarely, so these files are not on the recent files list.
> In this case I would compile the list of all files in the project and
> tell ido to also use this list. This way ido would list matches from
> the buffer list first, then from the recent files and then also from
> the list of project files.

I would absolutely love to see such a capability.

Today I already place in the root directory of each of my projects a list
of paths to all of the files in that project.  I make a project current by
binding that uses that buffer and completion to open any project file.

Ideally I would have ido seach upwards through the directory tree starting
from the directory part of buffer-file-name for something like
.ido-project-files.

Such ido integration would eliminate my separate key binding and the
awkward statefulness of my current project files buffer.

/john