On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote: > John Yates writes: > > > ​They made sense 40 years ago when my 2315 disk pack held 1.2MB. > > These days I too think they suck.​ > > I think that if you notice whether the indentation is made from tabs, > spaces or a mix of them, you're probably doing something wrong. > "Something" is not very helpful. Would you care to suggest a set of best practices to insulate me (or more importantly a programming newbie) from pain?​ Pain extends beyond mere emacs editing. ​I have worked on projects where tabstops were at multiples other than 8. I commend to you the task of writing a language frontend that tries to report errors in context in such settings.​ And - assuming you believe in unit testing - providing tests for that facility. Not saying it cannot be done. (I have done it.) But it does leave one wondering why such an anachronism is allowed to persist. /john