On Fri, May 6, 2022 at 6:15 PM Stefan Monnier wrote: > > For me the point is much simpler, in that it avoids issues like caches > that are out of date [ And it simplifies questions about "did you > download before or after I pushed the new build"? ] > If issues are reported using M-x report-emacs then the build date is provided, which can easily be contrasted with the date shown on the FTP site. Perhaps I'm missing something, but it's not clear to me yet what practical problems might be resolved/reduced by adding (e.g.) a build-count to the filename. In this case, I believe if OP had been aware of the sync-status page for the mirrors at the time of their confusion, then it would have been clear that (my assumption here) the discrepancy observed was due to a sync issue for the particular mirror used. I think it would be ideal to hear from other people who are using these binaries releases before we elect a change in naming these files; they have been consistent for quite some time. I was using them for years before I volunteered to help create them. In my view, the complexity of needing to understand whether one wants the emacs-.zip vs the emacs--installer.exe vs the emacs-