* How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-20  2:42 Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-04-20  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello, I'm interested in contributing to emacs windows installer such
as providing more options and providing images/banners bitmap, Where
can I find information such as where to send them and which files are
needed to modify?

Thanks.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-20  6:22 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-04-20  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G, Corwin Brust; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:42:51 -0600
>
> Hello, I'm interested in contributing to emacs windows installer such
> as providing more options and providing images/banners bitmap, Where
> can I find information such as where to send them and which files are
> needed to modify?

I believe Corwin (CC'ed) is the person who currently takes care of the
Windows binaries.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-21 22:00   ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2024-04-21 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Elijah G, emacs-devel

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 1:22 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com>
> > Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:42:51 -0600
> >
> > Hello, I'm interested in contributing to emacs windows installer such
> > as providing more options and providing images/banners bitmap, Where
> > can I find information such as where to send them and which files are
> > needed to modify?
>
> I believe Corwin (CC'ed) is the person who currently takes care of the
> Windows binaries.

Hi Elijah!

The files specific to building on and for Windows port are in
admin/nt/dist-build within the source tree.  The NSIS installer is
emacs.nsi in that folder. I would be happy to look at any patches.

I have lots and lots of rather so-so code relating to making these
builds, most of which I don't use when preparing release builds which
I do rather manually.   In any case, my local snapot "CI" build
programs are here: https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-local-ci

Let me know how I can help most, and thanks for your interest in
improving things.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-21 22:38     ` Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-04-21 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin Brust; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 4:00 PM Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 1:22 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > > From: Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com>
> > > Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 20:42:51 -0600
> > >
> > > Hello, I'm interested in contributing to emacs windows installer such
> > > as providing more options and providing images/banners bitmap, Where
> > > can I find information such as where to send them and which files are
> > > needed to modify?
> >
> > I believe Corwin (CC'ed) is the person who currently takes care of the
> > Windows binaries.
> >

> Hi Elijah!
>
> The files specific to building on and for Windows port are in
> admin/nt/dist-build within the source tree.  The NSIS installer is
> emacs.nsi in that folder. I would be happy to look at any patches.
>
> I have lots and lots of rather so-so code relating to making these
> builds, most of which I don't use when preparing release builds which
> I do rather manually.   In any case, my local snapot "CI" build
> programs are here: https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-local-ci
>
> Let me know how I can help most, and thanks for your interest in
> improving things.

Hi Corwin, thank you for showing me the files I've tried building only the
installer using "build-zips.sh -i" but i'm getting an error "Error
while loading icon from
"emacs-30.0.50\share\emacs\30.0.50\etc\images\icons\hicolor\scalable\a
pps\emacs.ico": can't open file" can you tell me Where the share folder should
be?

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-22  0:04       ` Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-04-22  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin Brust; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 4:38 PM Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I believe Corwin (CC'ed) is the person who currently takes care of the
> > > Windows binaries.
> > >

> > Hi Elijah!
> >
> > The files specific to building on and for Windows port are in
> > admin/nt/dist-build within the source tree.  The NSIS installer is
> > emacs.nsi in that folder. I would be happy to look at any patches.
> >
> > I have lots and lots of rather so-so code relating to making these
> > builds, most of which I don't use when preparing release builds which
> > I do rather manually.   In any case, my local snapot "CI" build
> > programs are here: https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-local-ci
> >
> > Let me know how I can help most, and thanks for your interest in
> > improving things.
>
> Hi Corwin, thank you for showing me the files I've tried building only the
> installer using "build-zips.sh -i" but i'm getting an error "Error
> while loading icon from
> "emacs-30.0.50\share\emacs\30.0.50\etc\images\icons\hicolor\scalable\a
> pps\emacs.ico": can't open file" can you tell me Where the share folder should
> be?

I think I found the error, it's because build-zips.sh was executing in "C:\",
i'm planning to add images/banners for the installer because the
default is stretched and
other stuff, i'm not sure if I should send the patch in this thread or
create another.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-22  2:13         ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2024-04-22  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 7:04 PM Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 4:38 PM Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi Elijah!
> > >
> > > The files specific to building on and for Windows port are in
> > > admin/nt/dist-build within the source tree.  The NSIS installer is
> > > emacs.nsi in that folder. I would be happy to look at any patches.
> > >
> > > I have lots and lots of rather so-so code relating to making these
> > > builds, most of which I don't use when preparing release builds which
> > > I do rather manually.   In any case, my local snapot "CI" build
> > > programs are here: https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-local-ci
> > >
> > > Let me know how I can help most, and thanks for your interest in
> > > improving things.
> >
> > Hi Corwin, thank you for showing me the files I've tried building only the
> > installer using "build-zips.sh -i" but i'm getting an error "Error
> > while loading icon from
> > "emacs-30.0.50\share\emacs\30.0.50\etc\images\icons\hicolor\scalable\a
> > pps\emacs.ico": can't open file" can you tell me Where the share folder should
> > be?
>
> I think I found the error, it's because build-zips.sh was executing in "C:\",
> i'm planning to add images/banners for the installer because the
> default is stretched and
> other stuff, i'm not sure if I should send the patch in this thread or
> create another.

I think you are correct - build-zips.sh wants to be run from a folder
containing your newly built Emacs (or maybe one level up from that;
I'm not using it much at present; I run the installer directly).

Once you have a patch ready to send please use the `report-emacs-bug'
command and attach your patch, which will open a new bug report for us
to discuss these "beautification" changes (which will be much
appreciated).  I'm not sure it matters a great deal in the case of
these few files, but we most often work in terms of separate bugs for
specific finite changes, while using this list to discuss what bugs to
open and otherwise align on approaches to take when the given subject
may lead to more sweeping change, as best I understand regarding Emacs
development more generally.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-23  1:45           ` Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-04-23  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin Brust; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 8:13 PM Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 7:04 PM Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi Corwin, thank you for showing me the files I've tried building only the
> > > installer using "build-zips.sh -i" but i'm getting an error "Error
> > > while loading icon from
> > > "emacs-30.0.50\share\emacs\30.0.50\etc\images\icons\hicolor\scalable\a
> > > pps\emacs.ico": can't open file" can you tell me Where the share folder should
> > > be?
> >
> > I think I found the error, it's because build-zips.sh was executing in "C:\",
> > i'm planning to add images/banners for the installer because the
> > default is stretched and
> > other stuff, i'm not sure if I should send the patch in this thread or
> > create another.
> >

> I think you are correct - build-zips.sh wants to be run from a folder
> containing your newly built Emacs (or maybe one level up from that;
> I'm not using it much at present; I run the installer directly).
>
> Once you have a patch ready to send please use the `report-emacs-bug'
> command and attach your patch, which will open a new bug report for us
> to discuss these "beautification" changes (which will be much
> appreciated).  I'm not sure it matters a great deal in the case of
> these few files, but we most often work in terms of separate bugs for
> specific finite changes, while using this list to discuss what bugs to
> open and otherwise align on approaches to take when the given subject
> may lead to more sweeping change, as best I understand regarding Emacs
> development more generally.

Thank you, I've now sent my patch to bug-gnu-emacs.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-23 15:35             ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2024-04-23 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elijah G; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 8:45 PM Elijah G <eg642616@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you, I've now sent my patch to bug-gnu-emacs.

I see it -- bug#70538.

Was caught in the SPAM trap, now released.  I will look/try as soon as
I can.  Thanks again!

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-04-23 15:43               ` Elijah G
From: Elijah G @ 2024-04-23 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin Brust; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Thank you,  now i know why i couldn't see
my message in https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/,
i had to resend it again sorry.

@ 2024-07-12 10:07     ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2024-07-12 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin Brust; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Elijah G, emacs-devel

Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:

> I have lots and lots of rather so-so code relating to making
> these builds, most of which I don't use when preparing release
> builds which I do rather manually.

Do you have those manual steps documented, even roughly?

Thanks and regards,

       - Joel

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-07-12 12:39       ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2024-07-12 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reicher; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Elijah G, emacs-devel

On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 5:07 AM Joel Reicher <joel.reicher@gmail.com> wrote:

> Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:
>
> > I have lots and lots of rather so-so code relating to making
> > these builds, most of which I don't use when preparing release
> > builds which I do rather manually.
>
> Do you have those manual steps documented, even roughly?

Not outstandingly well, certainly.  Here is the talk I gave at
EmacsConf last year:

https://emacsconf.org/2023/talks/windows/

And here are a couple of the the EmacsWiki pages that I've updated
more recently:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryWThirtyTwo
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BuildingOnWindowsTableofContents

@ 2024-07-13  5:57         ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2024-07-13  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin Brust; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Elijah G, emacs-devel

Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 5:07 AM Joel Reicher
> <joel.reicher@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:
>>
>>> I have lots and lots of rather so-so code relating to making
>>> these builds, most of which I don't use when preparing release
>>> builds which I do rather manually.
>>
>> Do you have those manual steps documented, even roughly?
>
> Not outstandingly well, certainly.  Here is the talk I gave at
> EmacsConf last year:
>
> https://emacsconf.org/2023/talks/windows/

Thanks; that made sense. Two questions:

1) Is there anything you would like help with at the moment? A
particular bug or two? (You mention some in the talk but that was
6 months ago.)
2) How do you provision/construct your build environment? In the
talk I think you allude to it but never really describe it.

Regards,

        - Joel

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-07-13 10:35           ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2024-07-13 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reicher; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Elijah G, emacs-devel

On Sat, Jul 13, 2024 at 12:57 AM Joel Reicher <joel.reicher@gmail.com> wrote:

> Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 12, 2024 at 5:07 AM Joel Reicher
> > <joel.reicher@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Do you have those manual steps documented, even roughly?
> >
> > Not outstandingly well, certainly.  Here is the talk I gave at
> > EmacsConf last year:
> >
> > https://emacsconf.org/2023/talks/windows/
>
> Thanks; that made sense. Two questions:
>
> 1) Is there anything you would like help with at the moment? A
> particular bug or two? (You mention some in the talk but that was
> 6 months ago.)

There are a few (three?) open issues that I'm actively working on
(this weekend, finally.  yey).  Depending on how that goes trying out
the patches (building installer from updated scripts) will be very
helpful, if nothing else.   I strongly suspect there are a number of
Windows specific issues lurking in the bug tracker however that takes
a fair amount of effort just to research (searching Debbugs is
something of an art-form).

> 2) How do you provision/construct your build environment? In the
> talk I think you allude to it but never really describe it.

I don't have automation to create the build environment.  I simply
install MSYS2/MINGW64 and then run the build with all my preferred
options to configure until it stopps choking on missing dependencies.
There are a number of blog posts and such that I've found using
websearch in the past and which might well (at least) provide a list
of those packages - I haven't tried that approach (some command like:
pacman -S <LONG LIST HERE>) nor written anything similar myself.
Aside from MSYS you will need to NSIS, which turns
admin/nt/build-dist/emacs.nsi plus a installed (via make install)
version of Emacs into emacs-<VER>-installer.exe when the command is
run from parent of the folder into which Emacs has been installed to.

@ 2024-07-13 16:26             ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2024-07-13 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin Brust; +Cc: Joel Reicher, Eli Zaretskii, Elijah G, emacs-devel

Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:

Hi Corwin,

>> 1) Is there anything you would like help with at the moment? A
>> particular bug or two? (You mention some in the talk but that was
>> 6 months ago.)
>
> There are a few (three?) open issues that I'm actively working on
> (this weekend, finally.  yey).  Depending on how that goes trying out
> the patches (building installer from updated scripts) will be very
> helpful, if nothing else.   I strongly suspect there are a number of
> Windows specific issues lurking in the bug tracker however that takes
> a fair amount of effort just to research (searching Debbugs is
> something of an art-form).

Like anything with (ChatGPT) Prompt Engineering :-)

I've tried

M-x debbugs-gnu-search RET windows installer RET package RET emacs RET RET

It returns 3 open bugs (and 4 closed ones). Are these the three bugs
you're working on?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: How to contribute to Emacs Windows(NT) installer?
@ 2024-07-13 17:10             ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2024-07-13 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corwin Brust; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Elijah G, emacs-devel

Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2024 at 12:57 AM Joel Reicher
> <joel.reicher@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 1) Is there anything you would like help with at the moment? A
>> particular bug or two? (You mention some in the talk but that
>> was 6 months ago.)
>
> There are a few (three?) open issues that I'm actively working
> on (this weekend, finally.  yey).  Depending on how that goes
> trying out the patches (building installer from updated scripts)
> will be very helpful, if nothing else.   I strongly suspect
> there are a number of Windows specific issues lurking in the bug
> tracker however that takes a fair amount of effort just to
> research (searching Debbugs is something of an art-form).

A naive search turns up at least 40 that look to me to use the
word "windows" to mean the operating system and not the Emacs
object.

>> 2) How do you provision/construct your build environment? In
>> the talk I think you allude to it but never really describe it.
>
> I don't have automation to create the build environment.  I
> simply install MSYS2/MINGW64 and then run the build with all my
> preferred options to configure until it stopps choking on
> missing dependencies.

Ah, sorry; I meant the steps before this: the machine, and the
operating system.

For example, do you create VMs semi-regularly with different
versions of Windows?

Thanks and regards,

       - Joel