From: Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st>
To: chad <yandros@gmail.com>
Cc: tom@tomdavey.com, EMACS development team <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
	Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [External] : Emacs pretest 28.0.91 is out
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:15:22 -0600	[thread overview]

Thank Chad, for bumping this.  I'd meant to reply the other day after
my first successful packaging attempt but could not find this thread.

On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 1:48 PM chad <yandros@gmail.com> wrote:

> Forgive the third-party chime-in, but....
>
> The Windows builds/installer are currently done by Phil Lord (cc'd), who could probably use some help, if you have some spare time and a capable Windows machine where you can install packages.

Can confirm ;)

I'm one of a couple of people who has been trying to help fill the gap
since Phillip stopped having time to work regularly on this -- we
would love more help to create the release packages for Windows, to
document the scripts that produce them, and generally to improve and
increase brain trust around this tooling.

Coming back to...

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 10:18 PM Tom Davey <tom@tomdavey.com> wrote:
>> I would like to contribute to the pre-test for 28.0.91. I see that last year a Windows pre-test for 28.0.50 was uploaded to https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-28/ in January 2021. Might an ETA for the Windows build of 28.0.91 be in the works?

Thanks very much; this help too is most welcome and very much needed.

I expect we will have packages available from the alpha FTP site in
the near future.

In the meanwhile you are welcome to try these out; these were created
just a few minutes ago from the emacs-28 branch.

Select "tree" from here in a web-broswer:
  https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-w64

Or, grab everything via:
  git clone https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-w64

Note, these won't use native-comp (even if you have msys and
libgccjit).   Producing windows builds that use those when present is
the next thing we are working on.

>> All my thanks to those who create the Windows builds and make Windows users feel like first-class citizens of Emacs. We'd much prefer to use Emacs on a free operating system if only our corporate overlords would allow it.

+1

My thanks to those intrepid souls also.   (I've only been building my
own Emacs under windows for a few months.)  Phillip Lord, especially,
deserves some type of "hall of fame" level of recognition for reducing
the daily pain for us "corporate drones" :D

And thank /you/ for your enthusiasm to work on this.
Corwin