* bug#56820: outline-minor-mode replacing the first character with an arrow
@ 2022-07-29 10:39 Yilkal Argaw
From: Yilkal Argaw @ 2022-07-29 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 56820, emacs-devel

Hi Guys,

Today I compiled emacs from source and while using outline-minor-mode
it started replacing the first character with an arrow whenever I fold
the code. The characters remain  as arrows even when I disable outline
minor mode. To recreate the issue

   + emacs -q
   + open a source code file (I opened ruby,  python and elisp files)
   + outline-minor-mode
   + M-: (set outline-minor-mode-cycle t)
   + (outline-minor-mode-cycle-buffer)

The emacs version I use is   29.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

wiith regards
Yilkal A.

* Re: outline-minor-mode replacing the first character with an arrow
@ 2022-07-29 11:03 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2022-07-29 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Yilkal Argaw <yilkalargawworkneh@gmail.com> writes:

> Today I compiled emacs from source and while using outline-minor-mode
> it started replacing the first character with an arrow whenever I fold
> the code.

Hehe, and in compile buffers there are icons now, too!

> The characters remain as arrows even when I disable outline minor
> mode.

I guess at least that is wrong.

FWIW, I also see the bug (?) that a folded outline heading has a
down-arrow symbol while an unfolded one has just an empty square with
border.  I would assume it should have a right-arrow icon.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: outline-minor-mode replacing the first character with an arrow
@ 2022-07-29 11:04 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-07-29 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yilkal Argaw; +Cc: emacs-devel

Please remove emacs-devel from the CC list when responding, so that
this discussion is kept on the bug tracker/list only.

Thanks.

* Re: outline-minor-mode replacing the first character with an arrow
@ 2022-07-29 12:03   ` John Yates
From: John Yates @ 2022-07-29 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 7:09 AM Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> FWIW, I also see the bug (?) that a folded outline heading has a
> down-arrow symbol while an unfolded one has just an empty square with
> border.  I would assume it should have a right-arrow icon.

Is this an approximation to the  "twister" isosceles triangle UI idiom:
* folded: vertical base, rightwards-facing
* unfolded: horizontal base, downwards-facing

Are the glyphs clickable?

/john

* Re: outline-minor-mode replacing the first character with an arrow
@ 2022-07-29 12:19     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2022-07-29 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Yates; +Cc: emacs-devel

John Yates <john@yates-sheets.org> writes:

>> FWIW, I also see the bug (?) that a folded outline heading has a
>> down-arrow symbol while an unfolded one has just an empty square with
>> border.  I would assume it should have a right-arrow icon.
>
> Is this an approximation to the "twister" isosceles triangle UI idiom:
> * folded: vertical base, rightwards-facing * unfolded: horizontal
> base, downwards-facing
>
> Are the glyphs clickable?

Yes, they are.

Bye,