* Cannot build master on macOS
@ 2021-01-08  3:17 Aaron Jensen
From: Aaron Jensen @ 2021-01-08  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: phst

When trying to build master on macOS, it fails with:

cp -f emacs.pdmp bootstrap-emacs.pdmp
cp: emacs.pdmp: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [emacs.pdmp] Error 1
make: *** [src] Error 2

First bad commit:

commit 4ac6148ef94fed6863c75e73ad91b565ce60cabe
Author: Philipp Stephani <phst@google.com>
Date:   Sat Jan 2 15:04:50 2021 +0100

    Avoid printing stacktraces when it probably wouldn't work anyway.

    * src/eval.c (signal_or_quit): Don't try to call the debugger if it's
    inhibited or we are about to dump or bootstrap.  In those cases the
    debugger probably wouldn't work anyway.

 src/eval.c | 14 +++++++++-----

Reverting the commit on master allows me to build again.

Aaron

* Re: Cannot build master on macOS
@ 2021-01-08  3:21 ` Aaron Jensen
From: Aaron Jensen @ 2021-01-08  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: phst

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 9:17 PM Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reverting the commit on master allows me to build again.

I spoke too soon. I got past the part where it failed before but now
it fails with:

make[1]: *** [emacs.pdmp] Segmentation fault: 11
make: *** [src] Error 2

I'll keep bisecting and see if I can find any more problematic commits

* Re: Cannot build master on macOS
@ 2021-01-08  8:00   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2021-01-08  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> writes:

> I spoke too soon. I got past the part where it failed before but now
> it fails with:
>
> make[1]: *** [emacs.pdmp] Segmentation fault: 11
> make: *** [src] Error 2
>
> I'll keep bisecting and see if I can find any more problematic commits

I've had that, too, but "make bootstrap" fixed it.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Cannot build master on macOS
@ 2021-01-08 13:36   ` Aaron Jensen
From: Aaron Jensen @ 2021-01-08 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Philipp Stephani

It looks like I had some cruft in my emacs directory from when I
experimented with the native compilation branch that make clean
couldn't clean up. A git clean -dfx got me going again.

That said, 4ac6148ef94fed6863c75e73ad91b565ce60cabe does appear to
hide crash messages the pdmp step crashes, which leads to some pretty
confusing output from make. I don't know if that's worth addressing or
not, but I wanted to point it out.

* Re: Cannot build master on macOS
@ 2021-03-21 14:10     ` Philipp Stephani
From: Philipp Stephani @ 2021-03-21 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Jensen; +Cc: Philipp Stephani, Emacs developers

Am Fr., 8. Jan. 2021 um 14:36 Uhr schrieb Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com>:
> That said, 4ac6148ef94fed6863c75e73ad91b565ce60cabe does appear to
> hide crash messages the pdmp step crashes, which leads to some pretty
> confusing output from make. I don't know if that's worth addressing or
> not, but I wanted to point it out.

That commit is a follow-up 40e11743ca3803bdc2c6c612f35ab695efb3eb8b to
prevent infinite recursion in situations where printing a backtrace
wouldn't work. However, it should never hide crash messages, as they
are normally printed by the calling shell process.