Hi, Thank you, that seems to work perfectly well! Cheers, Jaros³aw Rzeszótko 2013/12/22 martin rudalics > > Is there any chance a more flexible mechanism for controlling which > window > > is chosen to be split when a new buffer is about to displayed could make > it > > into Emacs? I have been trying to implement a way to keep a toggleable > > terminal or compilation window at the bottom of an Emacs frame, that is > > only a few lines high and is never split or deleted unless the users > > requests it - I think this is a perfectly reasonable feature many people > > would like, and one present in many environments those days. Currently, > to > > the extent I managed to learn, implementing a window that consistently > > keeps a fixed position and size and is never split, is possible only in > two > > ways, one is a really dirty hack, and the second one requires > > reimplementing a lot of the mechanisms in window.el. > > To avoid that a window is split, fix its buffer's height (see the > variable `window-size-fixed'). > > To show a window continuously at the bottom of a frame, use the function > `display-buffer-in-side-window' with a 'bottom argument. > > No dirty hacks needed ;-) > > martin >