Following up on my own post, I now noticed that there was a setting in my .emacs file that selected the bold weighting. Why "stock" Emacs did not respect that setting and this "Mac port" did I have no idea. Changed the default weight to normal and now both versions have identical fonts. A curious mind might want to know why the "stock" Emacs OSX build does not respect the bold weight. The specific setting from my .emacs is: (custom-set-faces ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom. ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful. ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance. ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right. '(default ((t (:stipple nil :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 120 :width normal :family "Andale Mono"))))) Thanks, Marius K. On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 at 09:31 Marius Kjeldahl wrote: > Thanks, did a quick test and seems to work fine as usual. One noticeable > difference is that in your build, the fonts are weighted heavier. On my > iMac5K, your version looks bold compared to the regular version. I've > posted a link to screenshots below, although it's less visible in a > compressed image than on my actual screen. > > https://snag.gy/aiqFch.jpg > > Anyways, thanks! > > Marius K. > > On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 at 02:38 YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu < > mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp> wrote: > >> The Mac port based on Emacs 25.1 release candidate 2 is now available from >> >> ftp://ftp.math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp/emacs/emacs-25.1-rc2-mac-5.91.tar.gz >> >> and Git repository is also available at >> >> https://bitbucket.org/mituharu/emacs-mac.git >> >> Get it from the "master" branch. The "work" branch is for bare >> development and not for release (candidate) versions. >> >> YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu >> mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp >> >> ** Improvements >> >> *** Update emoji sequence data to version 4.0 draft. >> >>