* Common Lisp support for Semantic?
@ 2011-06-20 15:42 David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2011-06-20 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello there, I took a peek at the Emacs Lisp parser for Semantic
(interestingly, the file is named "el.el" :)

It seems that I could make a version of this that supports Common
Lisp. A few questions:

1. Has anyone else already done this?
2. If not, should I start by making a copy of el.el and then changing
it to work with Common Lisp? Or, should I try to make el.el support
both languages by branching just at the points where syntax differs?

* Re: Common Lisp support for Semantic?
@ 2011-06-20 21:44 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-06-20 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

David O'Toole writes:
> Hello there, I took a peek at the Emacs Lisp parser for Semantic
> (interestingly, the file is named "el.el" :)

Well, it was called semantic-el.el, but had to be renamed because of 8+3
name clashes.

> It seems that I could make a version of this that supports Common
> Lisp. A few questions:
>
> 1. Has anyone else already done this?
> 2. If not, should I start by making a copy of el.el and then changing
> it to work with Common Lisp? Or, should I try to make el.el support
> both languages by branching just at the points where syntax differs?

There is currently a thread in CEDET-devel regarding support for
PicoLisp; maybe this can get you started:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.cedet/5179

I don't think anyone else is working on this, but it's probably best to
ask on CEDET-devel.

-David

* Common Lisp support for Semantic?
@ 2011-06-21 17:49 Jan Moringen
From: Jan Moringen @ 2011-06-21 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dto1138; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi David,

there is some initial work in the "lisp-support" branch of CEDET here:

http://cedet.bzr.sourceforge.net/bzr/cedet/code/lisp-support/files

I have more improvements for that branch, which are not yet committed.

Kind regards,
Jan

* Re: Common Lisp support for Semantic?
@ 2011-06-21 21:05 ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2011-06-21 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Moringen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Jan, thanks for this! I will try it out.

@ 2011-06-23 11:28 ` Eric M. Ludlam
From: Eric M. Ludlam @ 2011-06-23 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David O'Toole; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 06/20/2011 11:42 AM, David O'Toole wrote:
> Hello there, I took a peek at the Emacs Lisp parser for Semantic
> (interestingly, the file is named "el.el" :)
>
> It seems that I could make a version of this that supports Common
> Lisp. A few questions:
>
> 1. Has anyone else already done this?
> 2. If not, should I start by making a copy of el.el and then changing
> it to work with Common Lisp? Or, should I try to make el.el support
> both languages by branching just at the points where syntax differs?

el.el already hooks into Lisp buffers and I have been told it works ok.
  To get better lisp support would mean abandoning the Emacs Lisp parser
all together as it eventually calls Emacs' 'read' function.

As such, Jan Moringen's suggestion is best.

Eric

* Re: Common Lisp support for Semantic?
@ 2011-07-05  2:46 ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2011-07-05  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Moringen; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Jan,

I checked out the LISP-SUPPORT branch and tried to use cedet-build.el
to build it, but the process stops with errors:

Generating autoloads for semantic-util-modes.el...done
Generating autoloads for semantic-util.el...done
Generating autoloads for semantic.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-cscope.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-debug.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-ebrowse.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-el.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-file.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-find.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-global.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-java.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-javascript.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-mk.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-mode.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-ref.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-search.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-skel.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-system.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb-typecache.el...done
Generating autoloads for semanticdb.el...done
Generating autoloads for senator.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/bovine-debug.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/bovine-grammar-macros.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/bovine-grammar.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/erlang-edoc.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/semantic-bovine.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/semantic-c.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/semantic-el.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/semantic-erlang.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/semantic-gcc.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/semantic-java.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/semantic-lisp.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/semantic-make.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/semantic-scm.el...done
Generating autoloads for bovine/semantic-skel.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/bison-wisent.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/semantic-wisent.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/wisent-c.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/wisent-calc.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/wisent-comp.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/wisent-debug.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/wisent-expr.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/wisent-grammar-macros.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/wisent-grammar.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/wisent-java-tags.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/wisent-java.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/wisent-javascript.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/wisent-python.el...done
Generating autoloads for wisent/wisent.el...done
Saving file /home/dto/elisp/cedet/semantic/semantic-loaddefs.el...
Updating header...done
Wrote /home/dto/elisp/cedet/semantic/semantic-loaddefs.el
(No changes need to be saved)
Wrote /home/dto/elisp/cedet/srecode/srecode-loaddefs.el
Generating autoloads for srecode-args.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-compile.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-cpp.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-ctxt.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-dictionary.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-document-vars.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-document.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-el.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-expandproto.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-extract.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-fields.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-filters.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-find.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-getset.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-insert.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-java.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-lisp.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-load.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-map.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-mode.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-semantic.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-srt.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-table.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-template-mode.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-template.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-test-getset.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-test.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode-texi.el...done
Generating autoloads for srecode.el...done
Saving file /home/dto/elisp/cedet/srecode/srecode-loaddefs.el...
Updating header...done
Wrote /home/dto/elisp/cedet/srecode/srecode-loaddefs.el
(No changes need to be saved)
Setting up CEDET packages...
Cannot open load file: cedet-loaddefs
Cannot open load file: eieio-loaddefs
Invalid function: eieio-object-p
Cannot open load file: speedbar-loaddefs
Cannot open load file: cogre-loaddefs
Cannot open load file: contrib-loaddefs
Setting up CEDET packages...done
shared-initialize: Invalid function: eieio-object-p
byte-code: End of buffer [2 times]
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [9 times]
byte-code: End of buffer

@ 2011-07-06 13:09   ` Jan Moringen
From: Jan Moringen @ 2011-07-06 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David O'Toole; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi David.

> I checked out the LISP-SUPPORT branch and tried to use cedet-build.el
> to build it, but the process stops with errors:
>
> Generating autoloads for semantic-util-modes.el...done
> Generating autoloads for semantic-util.el...done
> Generating autoloads for semantic.el...done
> [...]

I'm not sure, whether the problem is related to the changes I made in
that branch. I will try to merge changes from trunk soon. Maybe that
helps.

Otherwise, maybe some of the other CEDET devs can pinpoint the problem?

Sorry,
Jan