On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 3:54 PM, John Wiegley wrote: > >>>>> Jan Djärv writes: > > > This might be true in some sense, but it is not practical. GNUStep does > not > > get much attention in Emacs, but it is more likely that a developer that > has > > looked at the OSX code takes a stab at it if they are similar and use the > > same API:s. If we bring in the Mac port, I think we must drop GNUStep > due > > to lack of developer time. > > Isn't the lack of developer time being spent on GNUstep a fact that there > aren't many developers interested in maintaining it? > > By not splitting these two, you are losing out on the consistent efforts of > Yamamoto Mitsuharu, who has done a superlative job at providing an > excellent > experience for Mac users. If we use his code, we also gain him as an > active > developer for a very active platform. By sticking with GNUstep, however > much > the FSF may want that, we are restricting ourselves to a developer pool > interested in GNUstep -- which is not going to include many people from the > Mac development camp. If there were another alternative to the ns tree that would produce an OS X Emacs binary, I would build it in a heartbeat and then choose between the two which one I will put time into supporting. Seems crazy to me not to give Yamamoto's tree a chance to grow. Is there a git-able source tree somewhere or is it strictly a patch on top of the ns tree? -pmr >