There are a whole bunch of people who claim copyright on those files; their names are listed in the files' headers. I'll note that when I requested copyright assignment, I alerted the clerk that I was using these libraries. The plugin doesn't work without them. I could probably externalize those files into an "npm" package and instruct users to install a separate executable to run the JavaScript portion of the plugin. But I'd much rather just include them in the package, because then it "works out-of-the-box". As for ert-async, what would be our course of action if he does not agree? Will we add a copyright exception, or will I not be able to include the file in the repo? On Tue, Feb 3, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > > On the "Copyright (C) 2014 Johan Andersson", are you suggesting I change > > the copyright notice in ert-async.el myself, or that I should contact the > > author and tell him to change it? > > Asking him is the right way. The question to ask is whether he wants to > contribute this code to Emacs and/or GNU ELPA: if he does, then that > means his copyright assignment does cover this file and so that means > that the "Copyright (C) 2014 Johan Andersson" should be changed to > "Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc". > > Of course, you want to keep his name as an "Author:" and/or "Maintainer:". > > > context-coloring/languages/javascript/libraries/ also includes 3 > JavaScript > > libraries with their own copyright notices. These appear to be licensed > > under the FreeBSD license. Should they be handled specially? > > The problem is not just the license but the copyright. Who owns the > copyright to those files? > > > Stefan >