* Disable the postfix corresponding settings when compiling Emacs.
@ 2021-09-08 23:35 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-09-08 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-devel

On Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, when I try to compile Emacs from its git master
source code, it will always hint me to set postfix corresponding
settings. I don't use postfix as the mail server, and want to disable
the postfix corresponding settings when compiling Emacs. How to
achieve this?

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province

* Re: Disable the postfix corresponding settings when compiling Emacs.
@ 2021-09-09  1:17 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2021-09-09  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: Emacs-devel

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> On Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, when I try to compile Emacs from its git master
> source code, it will always hint me to set postfix corresponding
> settings. I don't use postfix as the mail server, and want to disable
> the postfix corresponding settings when compiling Emacs. How to
> achieve this?

I don't think the Emacs build process mandates any mail server in
particular.  Could you elaborate further, with respect to the annoying
behaviour you are experiencing?  Thanks.

* Re: Disable the postfix corresponding settings when compiling Emacs.
@ 2021-09-09  2:43   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-09-09  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Emacs-devel

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 9:17 AM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, when I try to compile Emacs from its git master
> > source code, it will always hint me to set postfix corresponding
> > settings. I don't use postfix as the mail server, and want to disable
> > the postfix corresponding settings when compiling Emacs. How to
> > achieve this?
>
> I don't think the Emacs build process mandates any mail server in
> particular.  Could you elaborate further, with respect to the annoying
> behaviour you are experiencing?  Thanks.

You're right. The annoying behavior is not triggered by the Emacs
compilation progress itself, but by the following command which is
used to install the dependencies on Debian derivative OSes:

$ sudo apt -y build-dep emacs

See the attached file for the screenshot shown on my machine. But I
still don't know how to disable this behavior when using the above
command.

Best, Hongyi

[-- Attachment #2: postfix.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 54212 bytes --]

* Re: Disable the postfix corresponding settings when compiling Emacs.
@ 2021-09-09  2:52     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-09-09  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 9:17 AM Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > On Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, when I try to compile Emacs from its git master
>> > source code, it will always hint me to set postfix corresponding
>> > settings. I don't use postfix as the mail server, and want to disable
>> > the postfix corresponding settings when compiling Emacs. How to
>> > achieve this?
>>
>> I don't think the Emacs build process mandates any mail server in
>> particular.  Could you elaborate further, with respect to the annoying
>> behaviour you are experiencing?  Thanks.
>
> You're right. The annoying behavior is not triggered by the Emacs
> compilation progress itself, but by the following command which is
> used to install the dependencies on Debian derivative OSes:
>
> $ sudo apt -y build-dep emacs
>
> See the attached file for the screenshot shown on my machine. But I
> still don't know how to disable this behavior when using the above
> command.

this is all down to Debian and nothing to do with Emacs. When you run
apt build-dep it installs all the packages involved in the Debian build
of Emacs. The debian system has a mail daemon specified as a dependency
for Emacs.

All you need to do is just uninstall postfix. It will have no effect on
building Emacs.

* Re: Disable the postfix corresponding settings when compiling Emacs.
@ 2021-09-09  3:02       ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-09-09  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 10:55 AM Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:

> this is all down to Debian and nothing to do with Emacs. When you run
> apt build-dep it installs all the packages involved in the Debian build
> of Emacs. The debian system has a mail daemon specified as a dependency
> for Emacs.
>
> All you need to do is just uninstall postfix. It will have no effect on
> building Emacs.

Got it. Thank you for your comment.

Best, Hongyi