In another version of emacs the third argument to add-hook can be a number between -70 and 70, like so: (add-hook 'find-file-hook 'dmp-find-file-hook 70) In the version of emacs that I am currently using (26.3) it turns non nil third arguments to t otherwise leave nil as nil. Having numbers for the third argument seems like you have more flexibility in order of the sequences of hooks to your hook variables. Do I need to upgrade the Emacs version? Ubuntu tells me I am using the most up to date version of Emacs.