I agree with Drew's reasoning behind not using up the M-s b/f bindings for occur-backward/forward. But I don't like the idea of having M-s o as a submap binding. M-s o is super useful as it is now. Here's a suggestion for bindings that might work out. I am not at a computer, so cannot verify if M-s M-o is already taken,.. but if not then how about M-s M-o f for occur-forward, and M-s M-o b for occur-backward ?? The above bindings are easy to press and also easy to remember. On Thu, Dec 29, 2016, 11:47 PM Drew Adams wrote: > > (define-key search-map "o" 'occur) > > +(define-key search-map "b" 'occur-backward) > > +(define-key search-map "f" 'occur-forward) > > FWIW, I don't think those keys (`M-s b' and `M-s f') should be > bound to those commands. If we want to bind the new commands > during Isearch then I suggest that the occur commands be grouped > on prefix key `M-s o': > > M-s oo occur > M-s ob occur-backward > M-s of occur-backward > > `M-s' is a _general_ search prefix key. There is nothing > particularly mnemonic about `b' or `f' being `occur-backward' > or `occur-forward'. And we should not sacrifice 3 `M-s' keys > to these commands. > > I, and perhaps other users, and perhaps in the future vanilla > Emacs, have other bindings on `M-s'. And `M-s' bindings can > be anything at all related to the encompassing context of > searching. > > -- Kaushal Modi