Thanks John, I tried out that snippet. It works great, and as advertised. I think will be a useful function. Here are few notes I have on this: - The functions need docstrings - It will also be useful to document them in the manual ( (emacs) Rectangles ) - I first wondered why you named it edit-rectangle instead of rectangle-edit. But then I realized that all rectangle commands are named that way: kill-rectangle, clear-rectangle, etc.. So that's why? On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 1:08 PM John Wiegley wrote: > This is functionality I'd like to add to rect.el. It allows you to specify > a > rectangular region, and then edit just the contents of that rectangle in a > separate buffer. When finished (C-c C-c), it replaces the old rectangle > using > insert-rectangle with the new contents. > > I'd appreciate comments on usability, fitness, etc. > > -- Kaushal Modi