On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 10:34 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > and ask > > the user what she would like to do about, with 3 possible answers > > being "rebind", "don't rebind", and "error out of 'load'"? > > > > Would that halt emacs startup with that prompt? > > It would stop the load of the features which redefines the keys. > What I meant is that what if the user is starting emacs using emacsclient and that prompt interferes with the startup process. It can get very irritating. > If so, I believe that would cause an annoyance for a lot of > > users who might have already shadowed bindings. > > That's why I proposed to do that only once, the first time this > ever happens for a key or a group of keys. > So the preference would be saved via Customize interface. > > What if define-key is instead made to throw a message or a warning? > > What's the difference between a message and a warning? > I meant just a message. > Anyway, this could also be good, but its disadvantage is that it > doesn't let the user an opportunity to reject the rebinding. > That right. I think this should be an interactive feature, not a non-interactive > one. > I thought of above so that the people don't shadow the bindings unknowingly in their config. I personally never set bindings interactively; may be many others do the same. So I cannot tell how much impact this will have if this happens just interactively. -- Kaushal Modi