Hi Alan, Le dim. 19 janv. 2020 à 12:51, Alan Mackenzie a écrit : > Hello, Fabrice. > > On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 10:34:07 +0100, Fabrice Popineau wrote: > > Hi, > > > Out of curiosity, I timed 'emacs -Q' .... > > Which version of Emacs? > > Current master. Emacs is compiled with gcc 9.2.0 (MSYS2) and 7.4.0 (Ubuntu) and CFLAGS = -g3 -O2 -gdwarf-2 > > .... scrolling through an elisp buffer: I started the timer by hand and > > scrolled down for 1000 lines .... > > How, exactly, did you do the scrolling? How did you stop the scrolling > at 1000 lines? Do you get this slowness on any elisp buffer, or is it a > particular one? > > I used my phone timer. It was my init.el file but I get the same result with dired.el > .... and it took 45s on Windows/WSL and 35s on Windows/native. > > That is slow indeed. > Definitely. > > Have you tried profiling this scrolling, yet? If not, I suggest you do, > with M-x profiler-start , running the scrolling, then M-x > profiler-report. In the report buffer, hit to get successively > deeper results. > > This may well give you an idea where the slowness is happening. > You are right. I should have tried it right away. [image: image.png] I am not sure there is anything unexpected in there. The lisp machinery interpreting commands accounts for most of the time, especially `completing-read-default' and I wonder why? Is it because of the `make-composed-keymap' call which occurs in `completing-read-default'? Best regards, Fabrice