2017-11-10 19:52 GMT+01:00 Eli Zaretskii : > > From: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) > > Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 17:01:39 +0000 > > Cc: jostein@kjonigsen.net, emacs-devel@gnu.org > > > > > I suggest we instead use the user's profile folder. From an initial > > > probe, this can be found in at least the following > > > environment-variables on my Windows 10 test-machine: USERPROFILE (or > > > by concatenating HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH ). > > > > I'll fix this. > > Just to make this more complex: the Windows platform conventions frown > upon installing stuff in that directory; you are supposed to create a > subdirectory and install there. > > And programs should not end up there, they should be under > %ProgramFiles% instead. The user's directory is for files, not for > programs. > That are the recommendations, yes. But I have never installed stuff like Emacs or TeX (or others) in %ProgramFiles%. And neither Cygwin or MSYS2 install in this directory. You are still free to install stuff in c:\Gnu is you chose to do so. Fabrice