* Image formats support
@ 2017-03-18 13:38 Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2017-03-18 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Emacs developers

Maybe a stupid question but if emacs is compiled with ImageMagick support,
what is the point in asking JPEG, PNG, etc support at the same time from
independent libraries ?
Shouldn't configure made those options to be exclusive ?

Also what is (are) the drawback(s) of ImageMagick support vs the other
libraries ?

Fabrice

* Re: Image formats support
@ 2017-03-18 14:27 ` Andreas Politz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Politz @ 2017-03-18 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: Emacs developers

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe a stupid question but if emacs is compiled with ImageMagick support,
> what is the point in asking JPEG, PNG, etc support at the same time from independent libraries ?
> Shouldn't configure made those options to be exclusive ?

Imagemagick is handled like an image type, so png and imagemagick are
two different types.  One uses libpng as backend and the other
libmagick.

> Also what is (are) the drawback(s) of ImageMagick support vs the other libraries ?

In my experience, libpng is faster then imagemagick.

-ap

* Re: Image formats support
@ 2017-03-18 14:34 ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2017-03-18 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: Emacs developers

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe a stupid question but if emacs is compiled with ImageMagick support,
> what is the point in asking JPEG, PNG, etc support at the same time from independent libraries ?
> Shouldn't configure made those options to be exclusive ?
>
> Also what is (are) the drawback(s) of ImageMagick support vs the other libraries ?

As I remember it I was a bit unsure if Imagemagick was as good as the
other libraries. So I wanted to support both sets of libraries, to keep
the options open. But that was a number of years ago, so things have
surely changed.

--
Joakim Verona
joakim@verona.se

* Re: Image formats support
@ 2017-03-18 14:49 ` Clément Pit-Claudel
From: Clément Pit-Claudel @ 2017-03-18 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

On 2017-03-18 09:38, Fabrice Popineau wrote:
> Maybe a stupid question but if emacs is compiled with ImageMagick support,
> what is the point in asking JPEG, PNG, etc support at the same time from independent libraries ?
> Shouldn't configure made those options to be exclusive ?
>
> Also what is (are) the drawback(s) of ImageMagick support vs the other libraries ?

There's also the security aspect.  The individual JPEG and PNG libraries have a better track record than ImageMagick.

* Re: Image formats support
@ 2017-03-18 15:00   ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2017-03-18 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Politz; +Cc: Emacs developers

> Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Maybe a stupid question but if emacs is compiled with ImageMagick
> support,
> > what is the point in asking JPEG, PNG, etc support at the same time from
> independent libraries ?
> > Shouldn't configure made those options to be exclusive ?
>
> Imagemagick is handled like an image type, so png and imagemagick are
> two different types.  One uses libpng as backend and the other
> libmagick.

My point is that only one of imagemagick and libpng will handle png files
at a time.
When ImageMagick is available, it supersedes png, jpeg and anything it
handles (AFAICS).
If you want to let libpng handle png files, you need to change some
defaults
(imagemagick-filter-types, etc.)

> > Also what is (are) the drawback(s) of ImageMagick support vs the other
> libraries ?
>
> In my experience, libpng is faster then imagemagick.

Ok, that is understandable.

Fabrice

* Re: Image formats support
@ 2017-03-18 15:44     ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2017-03-18 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: Emacs developers

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@gmail.com> writes:

> My point is that only one of imagemagick and libpng will handle png
> files at a time.  When ImageMagick is available, it supersedes png,
> jpeg and anything it handles (AFAICS).

No, the used library depends on the image-type, i.e.

(create-image "foo.png" 'imagemagick)

    vs.

(create-image "foo.png" 'png)

-ap

* Re: Image formats support
@ 2017-03-18 15:49       ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2017-03-18 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Andreas Politz; +Cc: Emacs developers

> Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > My point is that only one of imagemagick and libpng will handle png
> > files at a time.  When ImageMagick is available, it supersedes png,
> > jpeg and anything it handles (AFAICS).
>
> No, the used library depends on the image-type, i.e.
>
> (create-image "foo.png" 'imagemagick)
>
>     vs.
>
> (create-image "foo.png" 'png)

That is when you program, but when you merely use emacs to browse files
with dired, or when some package generates and load images (preview-latex),
defaults are used. And the default is that imagemagick supersedes png and
jpeg.

Fabrice

* Re: Image formats support
@ 2017-03-18 16:24         ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2017-03-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: Emacs developers

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@gmail.com> writes:

> That is when you program, but when you merely use emacs [...]

Who does that ?

-ap

* Re: Image formats support
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-03-18 21:57 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2017-03-18 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: Emacs developers

Is there a down-side to this, apart from the exe becoming a little bigger
?

a-p

* Re: Image formats support
@ 2017-03-18 23:08   ` Fabrice Popineau