Thanks! I am a native french speaker and I would expect such a feature to replace the previous space with a non breaking space or insert a non breaking space. This is the behaviour implemented in Libre Office Writer AutoCorrection feature, Microsoft Word, etc. People are used to this and for a good reason: It doesn't interfere with their habit to enter space before most punctuation. Also I would be interested in such a feature if it was available out of the box: I don't have the motivation to remember package name, minor mode names, etc. to install packages for such small features. FYI at present time I am pressing "alt gr"+shift+space before punctuation chars when necessary. When writing HTML, there're mixed usage of punctuation characters (by CSS, Javascript and the content language) and I am not convinced that such libraries help... Le dim. 4 juin 2023 à 16:57, Ruijie Yu via Emacs development discussions. < emacs-devel@gnu.org> a écrit : > Hello, > > I am proposing a new package called electric-french [1]. This stemmed > from a discussion on emacs-humanities [2], where Jean-Christophe > ("l@tlo") outlined a few common practices on nonbreak spaces in the > French language. See near the end of the message for the commentary > section. > > First of all, I want to know if any other French speakers are interested > in using this package -- in particular, whether this is beneficial in > general, more than only l@tlo. > > Secondly, if people are indeed interested, I hope this can ultimately go > to GNU elpa, but since I am still trying to get an employer disclaimer > (without which I am very reluctant to making any FSF open source > contributions), I don't want to propose its inclusion into elpa.git at > this very moment, hence this proposal into nongnu.git as a "temporary > workaround". > > Alternatively, we can also pretend it were proposed for elpa.git, and > postpone the actual inclusion until everything settles on my end -- of > course, only if enough people are interested in this package. > > I welcome any type of comments. Anything, including the package name, > can change with a valid reason. Though fluent in English, I am not a > native speaker, so there may be occasional errors on wording. Nor am I > so much a French speaker, and most information present in the package > were either provided by l@tlo or obtained via some quick [search > engine]'ing around, so any correction on that is welcome. Thanks. > > (And I know I need to add the part-of/not-part-of Emacs paragraph to the > header. I'll add it when I know which elpa we are looking at.) > > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8--- > ;;; Commentary: > > ;; This library facilitates adhering to various spacing > ;; requirements of French literature. It provides a minor mode, > ;; where when enabled, inserts nonbreak spaces before or after a > ;; character whenever required. By default, this includes all > ;; "two-part" punctuations (such as ?, !, etc.) and all quotation > ;; punctuations. > > ;; There are three customizable options at the moment: > > ;; - `electric-french-nonbreak-space': the space character / > ;; string to use for the nonbreak space. Apparently, different > ;; locales use differenc space characters. See details at > ;; > ;; on emacs-humanities@gnu.org. > > ;; - `electric-french-prepend-space-puncts' and > ;; `electric-french-append-space-puncts': which characters > ;; should have nonbreak spaces prepended, or appended, to them, > ;; respectively. > --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8--- > > [1]: https://git.sr.ht/~ruijieyu/electric-french > [2]: > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-humanities/2023-05/msg00000.html > > -- > Best, > > > RY > > -- Matthias