Ok, now I finally understand. but this must be explained in a clear, visible way. This is not at all clear, anywhere. What a sad state of affairs we are in regarding these legal aspects. Thank you. On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Yuri Khan wrote: > On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 12:16 AM, Filipe Silva > wrote: > > > With the recent activity regarding RMS wishing that someone would come up > > and write a replacement for magit that could be bundled inside emacs, and > > give FSF the whole copyright assignment, I cannot help but be intrigued: > > what good do these required copyright assignments do to the free software > > community? > > If you write a package and distribute it under GPL, a malicious user > can use your code in a derived work and distribute that under a > non-free license, in violation of GPL. > > If you have assigned copyright to FSF, then FSF can sue that violator > and have a probability of winning and forcing them to either publish > their improvements under GPL, or stop distributing their derived work. > > On the other hand, if you hold the copyright, you will probably not > have the resources and/or experience to sue, the violator will go > unpunished, and may successfully compete with you as far as detracting > users from your project. > > One specific case is if you yourself go evil and decide to stop > distributing your package freely and make it non-free. As a copyright > holder, you legally can do that. If you are the dominating contributor > of your package, many of your users will stay with the new evil you. > And minor contributors will probably not sue because see previous > paragraph. These things actually happened. > > Thus, assigning copyright to FSF protects the project against you going > evil. >