Eli, is there a way to disable line numbers, but just for somem modes? Or better, to enable line numbers, only for certain types of modes or filetypes? On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: James Cloos > > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org > > Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 01:35:12 -0400 > > > > >>>>> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii writes: > > > > EZ> The doc string for the 'line-number' face explicitly tells to use > > EZ> fixed-pitch font for the face. > > > > I hadn't gotten that far; I only called M-x set-variable in a buffer > > which was already in variable-pitch-mode, and then toggled v-p-m a > > couple of time to compare w/ and w/o. I hadn't gone looking for the > > name of the face used by the line numbers. > > The line-number face by default inherits from the 'default' face. So > how did you get into a situation where the frame's default face uses a > variable-pitch font? Did you invoke Emacs with -fn option, or do you > have some mode which creates a frame with the face parameter that > specifies a variable-pitch font? > > > Perhaps what I should have written is that the default face for line- > > number should not be affected by enabling variable-pitch-mode. > > I didn't think people would have frames whose default face is > variable-pitch. > > Does the patch below give good results? > > > >> The code might need to check whether the current face provides a glyph > > >> for FIGURE SPACE. > > > > EZ> And if not? > > > > Then it would have had to ignore FIGURE SPACE and fall back to SPACE... > > Btw, I don't really see how FIGURE SPACE could solve the problem at > hand anyway. AFAIU, that character is simply a space whose width is > the same as that of digits. So it's appropriate for when thousands > separator is a space, but it cannot magically align a number displayed > with a variable-pitch font. Am I missing something? > > Here's the patch I propose to fix your variable-pitch problem: > > diff --git a/lisp/faces.el b/lisp/faces.el > index c3693d1..52a4db5 100644 > --- a/lisp/faces.el > +++ b/lisp/faces.el > @@ -2467,7 +2467,7 @@ trailing-whitespace > > ;; Definition stolen from linum.el. > (defface line-number > - '((t :inherit (shadow default))) > + '((t :inherit (shadow default) :family "Monospace Serif")) > "Face for displaying line numbers. > This face is used when `display-line-numbers' is non-nil. > > >