Hi Eli, I understand, thank you. the only package that tries to do what I have just describe is an abandoned package from github user fanael. It has bugs and performance issues that render it unusable. here is the link: https://github.com/Fanael/relative-line-numbers/issues/3 On Jun 22, 2017 12:38 PM, "Eli Zaretskii" wrote: > > From: Filipe Silva > > Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 12:02:55 -0300 > > Cc: Emacs developers > > > > Eli > > ​, thanks so much for your work on this. I means a lot to have this > feature implemented in the timeless editor. > > > > I'm an evil-mode user and this is one of the features I miss most in > vim: relative line numbers. But let me be > > more clear: > > > > Vim implements​ relative line numbers in a way that the "relativity" > aspect is based on the visible lines of the > > buffer. > > > > This means that, for example, in an org-mode buffer, where you have a > bunch of lines collpsed, you would > > number those visible lines with numbers relative to the line of point, > and not based on the "real" relativity. > > Yes, this was already requested. I understand that there are no Emacs > packages that offer this feature right now, is that right? > > Anyway, implementing this will need to code a whole different method > of counting lines (the current branch just reuses the same code which > produces the line numbers in the mode line), so I will need to > experiment to see if it can be implemented fast enough to avoid > slowing down redisplay, which is already slower in folded buffers. > IOW, this feature will take some time to implement correctly. > > Thanks for the feedback. >