Stefan Kangas writes: > If the general direction here is okay, I will provide a full proposal, > including thinking through the order. Please find attached an updated proposal. My overarching goal here has been to design this as an _overview_ of _important_ and _non-obvious_ information. This is a summary of the changes: - Added sections. - Drastically shortened descriptions of the command. - Changed ordering to be roughly based on: order of importance, logical grouping of related items, and the Emacs manual. - Removed the indication about which commands will show a prompt. [Rationale: I find that information overly pedantic, messy and fully redundant; it will either be obvious from context or, at the very least, when invoking a given help command.] I'm not sure what is considered a large attachment these days, so I posted a screenshot at some image host: https://i.imgur.com/Cv67yUN.png To facilitate the discussion, I have also pasted below the plain text of the help buffer. The patch is attached below. (Type SPC or DEL to scroll, or q to exit.) Getting Help m Help for current minor and major modes and their commands b Show all key bindings k Show help for key c Show help for key briefly w Show which key runs a given command a Search for commands (see also M-x apropos) d Search documentation of functions, variables, and other items f Show help for function o Show help for function or variable v Show help for variable Info Manuals r Show Emacs manual F Show Emacs manual section for command K Show Emacs manual section for command bound to key i Show all included manuals R Show given manual S Find symbol in Info manual for current programming language Misc Help p Search for packages matching topic P Describe Emacs Lisp package e Show recent messages g Show information about the GNU project l Show last 300 input keystrokes (lossage) s Show current syntax table . Show local help at point t Start the Emacs tutorial Help Files C-a About Emacs C-c Emacs copying permission (GNU General Public License) C-d Debugging GNU Emacs C-e External packages C-f Emacs FAQ C-m Order printed Emacs manuals C-n News of recent Emacs changes C-o Emacs ordering and distribution information C-p Known Emacs problems C-t Emacs TODO C-w Information on absence of warranty for GNU Emacs Language Help C Describe coding system I Describe input method L Describe language environment h Display the HELLO file illustrating various scripts